In this COVID-19 quarantine special episode of Blaming the End-User, different heroes of the Office 365 community sit together virtually over a drink and discuss best practices for WFH.
This was a superfun event, where we asked each of our guests for their top tips for #WFH in these Corona days. We also heavily relied on snapcam for this… so a lot of great fun moments were had!
- Ahmad Najjar
- Andy Talbot
- Christian Glessner
- Edyta Gorzon
- Jon Levesque
- Katharina Schroeder
- Karoliina Kettukari
- Paul Hunt
- Phil Worrell
- Rene Modery
- Rob Mulsow
- Tiago Costa
- Tomasz Poszytec
These were the best Corona work from home tips we talked about:
- Enjoy the extra time you have! You don’t have travel, so you can just wake up 10 minutes before you need to be in the meeting.
- Have people from the same city organize meetups for coffee.
- Grab a coffee in the morning. Some caffeine will wake you up.
- Take a cold shower.
- Drink enough (water) to avoid a sore throat.
- Support others in this time.
- Be willing to be flexible (errands to be run, kids and spouse running around): give yourself the permission for me time.
- Own your calendar: Dare to say NO (people schedule things for their calendar, not for yours).
- Use something like a Pomodoro technique: focus for 20 minutes and then reward yourself for 10 mins.
- Start your day by “walking to work”, get some fresh air , go for a run. Take a shower and you are ready to go!
- Find your productivity spot: What time of the day are you the most productive?
- Eat healthy to keep your productivity up.
- Stretch. Open a window.
- Don’t forget to stop working.
- Set your goals the evening before.
- Get good gear: Sound cards, headsets and teach people how to use it.
- Get a good chair.
- Don’t put your kettle or coffee machine in the office, make sure you need to walk every now and again.
- Make your own WFH standing desk! Get your ironing board out and put your laptop on it.
- Be aware when you have your webcam on.. People might walk behind you who don’t know that you are recording.
- Use custom backgrounds to cut out the bedroom when you are working from home and get familiar settings in view.
- Organize 50 minute meetings so people can have a toilet break.
- If you know people are doing back to back meetings, ask them if they need a break to get a coffee or go to the bathroom.
- Put yourself on mute when you walk around the house or take a bathroom break.
- Don’t worry when your kids walk in. It will happen. Life goes on even when you are WFH. This makes you human. Kids don’t understand boundaries.
- Turn on your video in meetings (and wear a good hat).
- Try meetings in Virtual Reality to get a better sense of a meetup.
- Install a WFH system so that other people know you are in a meeting: a Busylight, Hue light or build your own solutions like this or this.
- Plan your work: use Planner or a Kanban board.
- Invest in quality equipment: a headset, camera, microphone, printers
- Automate things! So many processes (and new projects in this changing times) can be digitalised.
- Get people to www.office.com (don’t underestimate the amount of people that don’t know how to get there).
- As business owner working from home saves you money! You don’t need to pay rent for an office.
- Create a social channel on Teams where people can let loose.
- Work out loud: talk about what you want to do, what you did to others to have some social control.
- Have a kitchen channel: share recipes, take instagram worthy pictures of you dinner.
So there you have it! Tons of tips from work from home warriors! What are your tips? Tell us what works for you.