Quick fix: SharePoint 2013 can’t load localized customstrings.js

At a client, I tried to add a “Recently modified items” webpart. The server was set up in English (en-us), while the site was set up in Dutch (nl-nl).

I got an error stating that the webpart couldn’t find the customstrings.js file at _catalogs/masterpages/display templates/language files/nl-nl/customstrings.js?ctag=xxx

doesn't work

When I went to the folder (which you can find at “http://yoursitecollection/_catalogs/masterpages/display templates/language files”) I could see that it had a “En-Us” folder but not a “Nl-Nl” folder.

no nl-nl map

The quick fix I used was:

– create a new folder called “Nl-Nl” (or the language you want)

– copy the customstrings.js file from the “En-Us” folder to your new folder   

created nl-nl map

Now, the “recent modified items” shows the actual stuff (and translated in the correct language).

recentworks

 

 

Disclaimer: there is probably a better solution for this, like installing the correct language packs, but this is a quick-fix that works.

About: Marijn

Marijn Somers (MVP) has over 14 years experience in the SharePoint world, starting out with SP2007. Over the years the focus has grown to Office 365, with a focus on collaboration and document management. He is a business consultant at Balestra and Principal Content Provider for "Mijn 365 Coach" that offers dutch employee video training. His main work tracks are around user adoption, training and coaching and governance. He is also not afraid to dig deeper in the technicalities with PowerShell, adaptive cards or custom formatting in lists and libraries. You can listen to him on the biweekly "Office 365 Distilled" podcast.


4 thoughts on “Quick fix: SharePoint 2013 can’t load localized customstrings.js”

  1. Been Struggling with it from a very long time. your fix solved my problem.
    People can change/check their server regional settings by adding _layouts/15/regionalsetng.aspx to your central admin link

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: