Every Manager needs a dashboard, and every Program Manager needs a project dashboard, so he can view in an instance what projects are running good, and what projects need corrections.
So what questions do you want to pose to your Project Manager in order to have a good overview on the project? (aka the data to fill in your KPI)
1. Is the project within budget?
2. Are there no setbacks?
3. Do you expect any setbacks?
1. Is the project on schedule?
2. Do you have adequate people on the project?
3. Are the necessary specialists available?
4. Are there enough resources?
5. Will the project meet the deadline?
1. Do you have a Project Initation document?
2. Do you meet the current standards?
3. Are there any architectural changes?
4. Do you have a permit?
1. Does the project meet the demands?
2. Is the project adequatly documented?
3. Is the implementation arranged?
4. Do you have governance?
5. Does the project meet all the conditions?
For these 4 items you can implement a Likert-schale (or just a number from 1 – 10)and you will get a number as your current value. Add a target value, and your KPI’s are complete.
Ofcourse you can add other questions as well, I look forward in hearing your thoughts and options on this!